Sunday, November 26, 2006

Working in a Winter Wonderland


Mt Washington 2004: I wish we were out skiing together in this snow!


Greetings from snowy Victoria!

In just over 12 hours we've had 10-12cm (4-5 inches) of snow! I know, I just measured the pile-up on our balcony with my wooden ruler - how's that for precision precipitation measurement?

It truly is a winter wonderland here. This morning I headed up to UVic, umbrella in hand, for a solid day of data entry. It was snowing when I left the house and I had to shake the umbrella free of wet heavy snow several times (I know, only west-coasters take umbrellas out in a snow squall). I got a bit wet waiting for the bus and walking through the snow to my office but things were merely a dusting at 10:30am. By 1pm things were thoroughly and deeply covered in snow; the buses were running sporadically (mostly avoiding hills on regular routes) and the snow plough rumbled by with its first pass and every vehicle that followed drove in the clear lane avoiding the snow side at all costs - silly west coasters who can't drive in the snow (hee hee). Soon the local radio call-in station was taking calls from listeners all around Victoria, sending in reports of downed branches, accumulated snow, power outages, wood stove meals and suggestions that young families break out the 'bored' games to alleviate, well, boredom.

Not long after the coverage began, the by-line turned from "The Winter Storm of 2006" to the "Blizzard of 2006!" It was only 10 short years ago that Victorians survived the Blizzard of 1996. This is not entirely an unserious matter since Victoria is truly poorly prepared to deal with much snow (dustpan off the car anyone?) and many people do not know how to deal with life in the snow. For example, the guy who was carefully traversing his scooter around the corner into the parking lot with both legs splayed to the side, setting one foot and then the other down to his side every few feet or so - didn't seem so snow safe to me.

But me, yep I think I'm snow safe. I've got snow pants and ski mitts stowed under the stairs, the wood stove is here and ready to fire up with a stack of 2005 editions of Monday Magazine and very dry apple wood and if necessary I've always got my old bike tires if I need a more all weather vehicle.

But lucky me, I won't need to break out the snow boots or the bike tomorrow to get to my first day of full time work, nope, I'm working from home on my very first day! Ask me if I'm excited (well just a little bit). My new boss lives just down the hill from UVic in Cadboro Bay and he doesn't have power. So, I just came home to a nice message telling me not to trudge to work tomorrow and instead, assuming I have power, he's got lots of online research for me to dive into at home. So, let me get this straight, they will pay me to hang out in my pyjamas, in my cozy office at home and I don't have to worry about making a lunch or getting up particularly early or looking presentable? Sold! Officially, the best first day of work, EVER!

PS For those who I haven't told yet, I am officially (as of last Monday, that's why the 'hush hush') signed up to work for Habitat for Humanity Victoria as their first full time Affiliate Resource Coordinator - pretty much that means I'm managing the office and assisting with their fundraising program. I'm pretty excited!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For any of you who might or might not know Brandy, she is guilty by association on all snow ready accounts. Her mother Barb, is a chronic worry wart. She keeps snow pants in her car year round, "Just in case!". This is the first that I have commented, but I thought it would be appropriate for me to write in on this one. Hope you have fun in the snow, there might be some by the time you get home.

Miss you, can't wait to see you in December.

Love

Baby

Brandon

November 27, 2006 10:04 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home